Sunday, January 29, 2012

Geneva: Re-examining the Reformation

We hold certain places sacred because we regard them as the very well-spring of our religion. For Protestants it is Geneva. For Catholics it is Rome. So we planned our trip to visit both. I intend to record my honest impressions whatever pole of favorability or criticalness they might land on, hopefully without too much analysis.
Our first stop was Geneva. Here we wanted to visit St. Pierre’s Cathedral where Jean Calvin preached his reformed message. This might possibly be the first truly Protestant church (although I won’t know for sure until I take a course in church history in seminary). The cathedral was closed the first day that we visited old town Geneva so we walked around the outside of the building. Now I love cathedrals and regard them as truly sacred places but this one is really strange. The two towers on either side of the entrance which are supposed to add to the grandeur and balance to the building are totally different from each other. Well, it goes beyond merely “different.” It was like putting Big Ben on one side to balance out the Eifel Tower on the other (actually the "Eifel Tower"  is in the middle of two other completely different towers. It's all very confused). I suppose it’s appropriate for a city like Geneva which has a strong international flavor. Linn’s first impression was one of a city trying to be all things to all people.

It was not until the next day that we were able to go inside. Calvin had made some modifications to the interior. He had removed all of the art work and statuary; I guess so as not to obstruct the drab stonework which I think served as inspiration for some of his doctrines. He regarded beautiful art in churches to be evil. It was idolatrous and a distraction to the worshippers who ought to be focusing on God. Inexplicably he did not remove the highly ornate pulpit which, set against the austerity of the whole interior of the Cathedral, drew one’s attention firmly to the man preaching under its canopy.



plopped down into one of the chairs facing this raised pulpit struck by the incongruity of a Protestant pulpit in a Catholic Cathedral. I tried to image Calvin leaning over the railing, index finger wagging toward his listeners, expounding his doctrine of double predestination (his antidote for the Catholic Purgatory). I never have quite understood the improvement here. If, in the Catholic sense, your works don’t come up to snuff you don’t get to heaven, but you do get another chance at it in Purgatory. I don’t quite buy that one. But in order to get around the works thing Calvin made it so that unless you are of the elect you don’t get to heaven at all even if your works are of sterling quality. The whole thing is rather circular because what gives you some indication of whether or not you are of the elect is the moral quality of the life that you lead. So we are right back to works. I think I’d rather take my chances with Purgatory.


Here now in the very seat of the Reformation (which they keep to one side in the Cathedral) it just really hit me. Haven’t we gone far enough with this “Reformation” thing? I mean, perhaps it served a purpose. But when you reform something you don’t kill the patient to cure the disease. There are a lot of good things coming out of the Catholic Church now; not new things but a revival of some of the most ancient and spiritually deepest practices in the history of the Christian church – contemplative prayer, Lectio Divina, Prayer of Examen, Ignatian Exercises, spiritual direction. Sitting here in the seat of the Reformation (well, actually they had the seat roped off, but sitting in one of the other chairs facing that raised pulpit) I just had a sense that a depth of Christian spirituality hard-won through centuries of struggle to reach the divine had been plastered over. This, I think, was what disturbed me most about Calvin’s over-lay on this Cathedral. It was not reformation; it was more like spiritual amputation.

Here is my true reflection and my question as honestly as I can express it: Why continue to deny ourselves the fullness and richness of the gospel message simply because we think it belongs to the other side of the fence? There is both mystery and rationality in the gospel of Jesus. Why not open ourselves to the ancient practices while continuing to believe that we are not saved by works but by faith. If we can live with mystery then we can believe that the sovereignty of God is in no way compromised by our free will. So why don’t we work toward tearing down this dividing wall between Catholic and Protestant. As the apostle Paul might say, “Is Christ divided?”







3 comments:

  1. Hi Gene,
    Thank you for sharing the pictures, thoughts, and reflections. I have to agree that the "two towers" are a bit odd and the removal of the artwork in the sanctuary disappointing. Something is definitely missing there. It is quite dissonant, if that is the right word, to see and imagine the protestant pulpit in the middle of that huge sanctuary. As you visualize Calvin I smile and can see him like that too. Architecture and design does speak too doesn't it?!
    I think the Protestant Reformation could and has been represented much more artistically, beautifully and appropriately than in that chapel. Perhaps it reflects the strange duality of those reformation years where not much of the struggle was pretty from either side. Change comes hard when dealing with culture, conviction, and truth.
    I would like to hear more as you go on your journey. I hope to read some of the classic Catholic writings that you speak of. Of course I am still a sympathizer to Calvin and what I think are vital Reformation works (especially regarding the Bible) that he did. Even if some of it did swing the pendulum too far in some areas- like the ones you notice. And those don't "taste" very good either. Somewhat like sitting in Calvin's chair for a long time I imagine-- ending up with a sore bottom side! Didn't Calvin even sit on a cushion on that thing? 8)
    Thank you for your reflection and respect of rationality and mystery! Over the last year I helped out with a ministry that is and was doing great things for Christian men and women. They embrace symbolism, ritual, experience, mystery, and truth in a unique way that is not traditionally seen in church these days. Of course it is not a church so that explains part of it. But after applying a bit of rigorous reasoning and research into the roots of the organization it was clear that some of their practices and language is tainted by a Jungian type Pantheism. Not intentionally, and I think they are new, developing, and continuing to "clean out" what doesn't belong in a Christian ministry. But your comments brought to mind the importance of both mystery and ancient practices (creating unique and good change) and doctrine and reason (as a tools for knowing who God is and what he is and isn't like and doing).
    I am enjoying your pictures and especially your great perspectives. Thank you for sharing! I pray you and your wife are healthy and safe during the rest of your journey. God bless.
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle,
      Thank you for your reply. Of course the Reformation cannot be reduced to bare cathedrals and artless doctrine. My intent on this journey is to record the raw impressions of the places that we visit without too much analysis. In some respects it is tunnel vision and admittedly so. However I don’t intend to cling very firmly to the tunnel.

      I really like your metaphor of the pendulum to describe the Christian struggle for truth. It is not so much a straight-line journey but a constant breaking out of our theological “cages.” My own Christian experience has described a rather significant arc, although hopefully it is gradually coming to rest. I have the assurance of Christ to know that the pendulum itself is firmly connected truth.

      I picked up a book in the Vatican bookstore in Rome that might interest you as a theologian. It is entitled “Joseph Ratzinger’s Theological Ideas,” by James Corkery, S.J. I find his theology fascinating and very much centering on my own present theological understandings.

      I enjoyed the picture of you and your family. Thank you again for your comments. I value Christian dialogue. It keeps the pendulum swinging.

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks like in some respects you are taking the physical journey that I took spiritually last year. Thank you for sharing pictures and thoughts. It is a interesting comparison to see that the image of protest is universally ugly. I once heard an explanation for the difference between Protestant and Catholic decor is really a result of what happens when you remove the feminine influence of a mother from your house. Your discretion of the pulpit was quite amusing. Have a safe journey.
    Stan

    ReplyDelete